Many of The Woodlands, TX residents have homeowners insurance– also known as HO-3 that covers multiple perils in case of accidents that may cause massive damage. However, very few individuals are aware of what the basic policy covers and what it doesn’t. It is quite critical to know some of these exclusions in order to look for alternative solutions. Outdoor Insurance Services will help you go through the list.
What is covered
- The dwelling: This coverage covers the structure of the home where you live.
- Other structures: If there are other structures like the garage, shed or fence, this coverage helps protect them.
- Liability protection: In the event that someone not living with you is injured, this coverage helps pay for the legal fees as well as the medical costs.
- Personal property: Your clothes, furniture, electronics and basically most items in your house are covered in this coverage in case of a fire or theft
What is not covered
- Water damage and earthquakes: Most insurance policies do not cover earthquakes or sinkholes and other water-related damages like floods. Sewers are also not covered.
- Maintenance: If you break your sofa, your insurance company cannot replace it as it is not covered.
- Jewelry and expensive art: There are limitations on how much coverage you can get for expensive items. However, you can purchase separate insurance for these items.
- Dog attacks: If your dog is hurt or hurts you, you will be responsible for the medical costs as dog bites are not covered.
- Destroyed or stolen cash: It is quite difficult to convince your insurance company that you had cash without valid evidence
If you still feel you need to cover some of the above perils that are not covered, you can still find alternative ways of securing them. For instance, some private companies offer flood insurance. Visit us at Outdoor Insurance Services located in The Woodlands, TX to help you with more alternatives.